Who Should Write a Letter of Recommendation?
A great letter of recommendation can make the difference in college admission, and boost scholarships. They can help compensate for low SAT or ACT test scores. They are almost always required for college admission and job applications.
Who should write the letter of recommendation?
- Someone who knows the child well and can write well.
- Someone who can speak to the academics of your child in some way.
- Someone outside of the family.
How do you ask for a letter of recommendation?
- Ask in person, months before the letter is needed. Writing a letter of recommendation takes weeks, so request the letter of recommendation at least a month ahead of any deadlines. Recommenders have busy lives, and they can't usually drop everything to crank out a letter.
- Give instructions on how to submit the letter. If the recommender needs to mail the letter, then you should provide a stamped, addressed envelope, so they don't incur any expense.
- Be sure to confirm the letter was written, and say thank you once it is done.