When you complete a college application, one of the things they ask for is a list of "activities and awards." I have GREAT news! The activity and awards list is only for successes, and failures don't go on the list!
- Worked at a fabulous job? On the list!
- 28 job interviews followed by rejection? Not on the list!
- Awarded $200 in scholarship money by the community? On the list!
- Applied to 10 big-money scholarships, but rejected by each one? Not on the list!
- Member of the wrestling team? On the list!
- Never actually won a match ? NOT on the list!
See how that works? Our failures are always right in front of our eyes, and can sometimes make us feel a bit discouraged. It's negative feedback, telling us what we do NOT do well. But there are things that our students do well, and THOSE are the things that you put on the activity and award lists. Don't worry, you don' t have to list the bad things, just the good things.
Now remember to write down those wonderful activities and awards when they happen, so you won't forget anything. You don't want to be facing the application form and suddenly draw a blank. Write them down now, so you don't forget.
Need help with transcripts? Check out how I put my transcripts together in my Comprehensive Record Solution. It may give you the ideas you need!