If you are stressed out that your high school teen hasn’t found a career interest yet, relax. Some kids decide on a career when they are very young, and others don’t decide until much later.
This post contains affiliate links. If you click and buy I may make a few pennies, but not enough for a latte.
A great way for your child to explore career options is through career guidance books and other assessment tools. Here are some suggestions:
- What Color is Your Parachute? for Teens, 2nd Edition: Discovering Yourself, Defining Your Future. Get the teen version because I have heard the adult version may have inappropriate content.
- Your Career in Changing Times by Larry Burkett is a Christian classic for career exploration.
- Finding the Career that Fits You: The Companion Workbook to Your Career in Changing Times is the workbook to accompany Your Career in Changing Times.
- Do What You Are: Discover the Perfect Career for You Through the Secrets of Personality Type by Tieger and Barron. I haven’t read it myself, but it comes highly recommended.
Websites and Information about Career Exploration
collegeboard.org/explore- careers - The CollegeBoard has a free help to identify strengths and provides college major and career suggestions.
- www.humanmetrics.com - Personality tests, some free
- http://www.bls.gov/ooh - Occupational Outlook Handbook ebook (Free)
- www.careerkey.org - Personality related to occupations ($9.95)
- www.thecallonline.com - The Call Vocational and Life Purpose Guide from Focus on the Family ($100)
- www.careerdirectonline.org - Career Direct assessment from Crown Financial Ministries, founded by Larry Burkett ($80)
Is there a career assessment tool or book you or your child has found helpful? Please share!
Please note: This post was originally published in April 2011 and has been revamped and updated for accuracy and comprehensiveness.
Do you like getting this sort of personalized help for homeschooling high school? Gold Care Club members get extended answers for their most challenging high school issues.