12 Symptoms of Serious Technology Abuse
Are you concerned about how much time your teen is spending with digital media? Has their behavior changed? How do you know if technology abuse is a problem in your household?
In TechnoLogic: How to Set Logical Technology Boundaries and Stop the Zombie Apocalypse
, I share 12 symptoms of serious technology abuse developed by digital addiction specialists to help you determine if there is a problem. Check this list: Signs & Symptoms of Internet Addiction
Read through that list of serious and concerning symptoms of technology abuse, and make sure they aren't pointing to serious issues with your own child.
- Increasing amounts of time spent on computer and internet activities
- Failed attempts to control behavior
- Heightened sense of euphoria while involved in computer and internet activities
- Craving more time on the computer and internet
- Neglecting friends and family
- Feeling restless when not engaged in the activity
- Being dishonest with others
- Computer use interfering with job/school performance
- Feeling guilty, ashamed, anxious, or depressed as a result of behavior
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Physical changes such as weight gain or loss, backaches, headaches, carpal tunnel syndrome
- Withdrawing from other pleasurable activities
Technology is such a blessing, and can bring people together in wonderful ways. But technology can also be a curse - used by evil people, or affecting individuals prone to addiction. This is a new world, with new world problems. Wise parents educate themselves so they are aware of issues and can steer children clear of unnecessary bumps in the road to adulthood.
If you have a tech-loving teenager, read more about computer geeks in this article: Consulting with Computer Geeks
. Then read the list of serious and concerning symptoms of technology abuse, and make sure they aren't pointing to serious issues with your child.
What boundaries do YOU have for technology use in your home?